"THIS FLYER" LP
LP > CDR > EAC > WAV > FLAC
Released in April 1970, 4000 Jamaican pressing copies reported but probably far less, it sported a plain jacket & black center labels. A number of copies were circulated & sold with Black Panther propaganda inside.
The title came from the enclosed slip of paper which stated: "This Flyer is for the man who walked into a pad at Woodstock, raised his axe and talk to the people around him, and they talked together"
The album contained 4 untitled jams, a long affair which dominate side 1 and 3 shorter pieces on side 2, including "Flying", the only one with lyrics. Recorded on September 19(?), 1969 at Shokan House around Woodstock, the jams featured unknown Welsh pianist Mike Ephron with Juma Sultan on flute & percussion and Jerry Velez also on percussion.
Still not sure of the real origin of the recording itself, sound like Soundboard to my ears but I remember to have read somewhere that it could be Audience Source. The LP to CDR transfer is the cleanest I have heard so far, direct from the LP's owner.
Tracklisting:
1. INSTRUMENTAL JAMS
2. FLYING (Here I Go)
3. INSTRUMENTAL JAM
4. INSTRUMENTAL JAM
rar files packed with a recovery record -
links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-80db6b
http://lix.in/-82620c
or
http://kmkkck.link-protector.com
http://kmkkcm.link-protector.com
megaupload:
http://lix.in/-856f4e
http://lix.in/-86f5ef
or
http://kmkkcz.link-protector.com
http://kmkkcn.link-protector.com
Comments welcome.
20 comments:
thanks!
This fine recording proves one thing..Just when I thought I had heard everything..recordings like this one come along. Thanks.
Peace..
Killer!!! Thanks!
Thanks for all the downloads. In this one, though, I hear nothing that sounds like Jimi Hendrix. It would be easier for me to believe this is something else. Anyone with me?
OK, after skipping around a lot I got to the vocals. Sounds like Jimi, but these guys sound waaaaaay high! Never heard any Jimi like this.
OK, after skipping around a lot I got to the vocals. Sounds like Jimi, but these guys sound waaaaaay high! Never heard any Jimi like this.
Hmmm... well then this needs a listen since folks are doubting it is Jimi.
OK kids... this is definitely Jimi on guitar... no vocals needed here! Not to boast but it took me about 9 seconds to recognize the phrasings (as opposed to chords)so anyone wondering if it's Jimi... it is! And it's also absolutely a board.
Thanks for another great share.
Of course they are high, this was Woodstock!
... and it sure is Hendrix.
I have several Hendrix boots and this one is not worth listening to.
This is amazing and yes it is Jimi and they are high and flying. This is from a time when they were experimenting with open minds and using their talent and intellect to find new sounds and not to be music industry puppets (sadly what most dumb ass musicians get duped into becoming). There must be lots of tapes from this period, I have copies of a few more, some more traditionally song/tune like. Thing is this boot is so very worth listening to, open your minds and listen to musicians trying to find something different, trying to surprize themselves, trying to find something to amaze us folks that listen to music. Give this a chance and try to understand that if you dont take chances and risk all we don't get stuff like, for instance, ...And The Gods Made Love, 1983..., and lots more on oficial releases.
Also the person who posted the previous comment especially ( also everyone interested and amazed by Jimi's music should listen to Jimi's performance at the Newport pop festival on 22 June 1969 - also some of the Lonnie Youngblood Sessions and the M E sessions, Tinker Street and everything else Jimi did as he was one of the greatest musicians/artists of the 20th century.
Thank you for this and everything you give us
I don't see how you can compare this to any of Jimi's masterpieces.
This in an insight into the process, a snapshot of some moments in time, Jimi had a group of musicians around him searching for something. They were improvising, they were taking chances they were on the lookout for something magical, they were trying to find what their "voices" could do and not just do what most musicians do which is become entertainers in industry puppet mode. Sure Jimi made amazing music and it made astonishing amounts of money and as long as an artist makes big profits there is a pressure from the industry on them to make variations on a theme, to stay safe and continue to bring in the bucks. Also when people pat you on the back and tell you how amazing you are there is a security in repeating your behavior, going round in cicrles and not stretching out there,not growing and discovering just what you are capible of achieving. I have a feeling Jimi understood that, he was a remarkable person, just wish he was still alive.
I found this release of "This Flyer" (http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com/2010/07/jimi-hendrix-this-flyer-traver-hollow.html) Which one is the correct recording??
"This Flyer" was originally an LP what is here is a digital copy of that LP.
I had a look at the other site and what is there (in MP3 format, I think) is sourced from the original tapes. Remember an LP had around 25 minutes a side before the dynamic range suffered. Jimi was recording in the Shokan house during, at least, August and September he probably recorded lots of tapes. There is a 6 cd set about "Jammin with Jimi" that has some of the material on the other site and more, states it is from Michael Jeffery estate (that is a long and complicated story check out the Noel Redding and Carol Appleby book "Are You Experienced" for a taste of the music business and its machinations).
"This Flyer" was also released as "Jimi Hendrix At His Best", and got one of the all time worst reviews ever in the music press at the time, I think partly due to the pretentious crap that was written on the back of the sleeve. I still think the music is a truly fantastic incite into Jimi's creative processes I also understand why it infuriates people though.
I suppose if I were on whatever they were on at the time, I may have enjoyed it.
There are small segments that remind me of Miles Davis Bitch's Brew. There is a mighty part about 6 to 6 1/2 minutes into Flying.
You got it.
Does the note rundown on Track1: 8:33-9:00 remind anyone of 'Fields Of Joy' by LK? Does to me...
Post a Comment