Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Led Zeppelin: Southampton 1973 (Pro-Mixdown 2 Different Remasters) FLAC (Fixed Repost)

Checked and Double-Checked
Live In Southampton 1973
Led Zeppelin - Live In Southampton 1973 (CMI Remaster)
Label: CMI Music
Date: 22nd January 1973
Location: Old Refectory, Univercity, Southampton, England
Recorded by Eddie Kramer
Mixed by Kevin Shirley
Source: rough multitrack mix-down
Remastered by CMI Music in August 2008
Lineage: EVSD Silver CD->FLAC->WAV->Remaster->FLAC
Total Time: 02:32:28

CD 1 (76:57):
1. Rock And Roll
2. Over The Hills And Far Away
3. Black Dog
4. Misty Mountain Hop
5. Since I've Been Loving You
6. Dancing Days
7. The Song Remains The Same
8. The Rain Song
9. Dazed And Confused

CD 2 (75:30):
1. Stairway To Heaven
2. Whole Lotta Love Medley
~ Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
~ Boogie Chillun’
~ Baby I Don't Care
~ Let's Have A Party
~ I Can't Quit You Baby
3. Heartbreaker
4. Organ Solo
5. Thank You
6. How Many More Times
7. Communication Breakdown

CMI Comments: This is my remastered version of this great recording and is made using definitive raw version of this source from Empress Velley "Live At Southampton - Working Tapes" release.
For all who might doesn't know, first leaked R-O version is basically the EV version with some glitches already edited out and with some digital errors (bad CDR copy) on it in addition. "Dancing Days" track is an example.
I fixed all glitches and crackles. Also all three gaps in recording were fixed. No EQ and no Noise Reduction were aplied. Modern standart dynamic compression was applied, so now it sounds as loud and powerful as HTWWW.
All tracks are re-indexed.
BTW, Winston Remaster of this show is great but it sounds so different to the original. Also his mistake is the usage of Presence's source.
September 2008 CMI

links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-6d9a1b
or
http://lix.in/-6d9a11
http://lix.in/-6f20b2
http://lix.in/-70a753
http://lix.in/-722df4
http://lix.in/-647255
http://lix.in/-65f8f6
http://lix.in/-677f97
http://lix.in/-690638
http://lix.in/-6a8cd9
http://lix.in/-6c137a

or
http://vknskw.link-protector.com
http://vknskv.link-protector.com
http://vknskk.link-protector.com
http://vknskm.link-protector.com
http://vknskz.link-protector.com
http://vknskn.link-protector.com
http://vknskc.link-protector.com
http://vknskr.link-protector.com
http://vknsks.link-protector.com
http://vknsmx.link-protector.com

(if desired) md5 file for the rars: http://lix.in/-64727d

megaupload:
http://lix.in/-6f3f5c Note: part 3 will be incorrect here
or
http://lix.in/-6c3206
http://lix.in/-6db8a7
http://lix.in/-6b03a3 Note: part 3 will be in it's own folder (extract first)
http://lix.in/-70c5e9
http://lix.in/-724c8a
http://lix.in/-6490eb
http://lix.in/-66178c
http://lix.in/-679e2d
http://lix.in/-6924ce
http://lix.in/-6aab6f

or
http://vkcmzx.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzw.link-protector.com
http://vkcsxr.link-protector.com Part 3 will be in it's own folder (extract first)
http://vkcmzk.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzm.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzz.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzn.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzc.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzr.link-protector.com
http://vkcmzs.link-protector.com

(if desired) md5 file for the rars: http://lix.in/-65f91e

+++
to clarify: This is the TomP Remaster which is a Remaster of CMI's Remaster
southampton_i_pix
CMI > TomP REMASTER
Old Refectory, University, Southampton, England
22nd January 1973
Recorded by Eddie Kramer
Mixed by Kevin Shirley
Source: rough multitrack mix-down
Lineage: EVSD Silver CD->FLAC->WAV->Remaster->FLAC
Originally Remastered by CMI Music in August 2008
Corrected -0.03msec phase shift
Cross-mixed all tracks (ratio 96:4)
Noise print NR at very low setting, to take edge off hiss & fix slight buzz without affecting SQ
Very slight EQ, +2dB treble
Slight expansion (from 0dB @ 0dB to -2dB @ -20dB) undoing over-compression (Audition 3)
Minor clip reduction in a few places (Audition 3)
Fixed hundreds of volume and balance fluctuations
Fixed lots more glitches, clicks, mic bumps, feedback squeels and drop-outs
Combined tracks for editing, cut a few short periods of complte silence and Re-tracked to avoid SBEs
Flac > Nero > TLH > you
Quality: Ex performance, A+ SQ (would be more except for a little hiss remaining)
OU Notes: I've downloaded many, many Led Zep recordings and have been surprised at just how few are decent sound quality, either because of strange soundboard mixes (where Page is often near inaudible) or mostly high generation copies.
Well at last, IMHO this is the best recording I've found, with the exception of course of the great BBC Live Official 2CD set. The only ones that come close have been the thir13en remasters of Vancouver 1975 and Frankfurt 1980, with highly rated others like St Louis 1975 some way behind those. I'm not a completist, so I would welcome enthusiasts posting with similar or better SQ. There is also a thir13en
remaster of this same concert, but that sounds a little thin compared to this version.
My original source was remastered by CMI, with whom I'm not familiar to me but did a great job, except for over-enthusiastic compression that pumped up levels and made it difficult to separate instruments.
I was able to undo some of this, along with other significant editing (above).
Now it sounds truly great. Performance is top notch with a great set list including several golden oldies and for once you can hear Jimmy Page's guitar in all its true glory, making this for me the best Led Zeppelin recording ever...
...Enjoy !!
Original info (with amended track times) >>>>
Total Time: 02:32:09

CD 1 (76:41):
01 - Rock And Roll (4.00)
02 - Over The Hills And Far Away (6.34)
03 - Black Dog (5.41)
04 - Misty Mountain Hop (4.34)
05 - Since I've Been Loving You (8.24)
06 - Dancing Days (4.30)
07 - The Song Remains The Same (5.34)
08 - The Rain Song (9.05)
09 - Dazed And Confused (28.17)

CD 2 (75:28):
10 - Stairway To Heaven (12.01)
11 - Whole Lotta Love Medley (27.11)
> Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
> Boogie Chillun’
> Baby I Don't Care
> Let's Have A Party
> I Can't Quit You Baby
> Applause for Encore (4min)
12 - Heartbreaker > Applause (11.33)
13 - Organ Solo (3.17)
14 - Thank You (9.36)
15 - How Many More Times (8.15)
16 - Communication Breakdown (3.33)

CMI Comments: See above

links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-6d9a7f
or
http://lix.in/-6a8d33
http://lix.in/-6c13d4
http://lix.in/-6d9a75
http://lix.in/-6f2116
http://lix.in/-70a7b7
http://lix.in/-722e58
http://lix.in/-6472b9
http://lix.in/-65f95a
http://lix.in/-677ffb
http://lix.in/-69069c

or
http://vknsmm.link-protector.com
http://vknsmz.link-protector.com
http://vknsmn.link-protector.com
http://vknsmc.link-protector.com
http://vknsmr.link-protector.com
http://vknsms.link-protector.com
http://vknszx.link-protector.com
http://vknszw.link-protector.com
http://vknszv.link-protector.com
http://vknszk.link-protector.com

(if desired) md5 file for the rars: http://lix.in/-65f950

megaupload:
http://lix.in/-6c14ec
or
http://lix.in/-6780ff
http://lix.in/-6907a0
http://lix.in/-6a8e41
http://lix.in/-6c14e2
http://lix.in/-6d9b83
http://lix.in/-6f2224
http://lix.in/-70a8c5
http://lix.in/-722f66
http://lix.in/-6473c7
http://lix.in/-65fa68

or
http://vknsrw.link-protector.com
http://vknsrv.link-protector.com
http://vknsrk.link-protector.com
http://vknsrm.link-protector.com
http://vknsrz.link-protector.com
http://vknsrn.link-protector.com
http://vknsrc.link-protector.com
http://vknsrr.link-protector.com
http://vknsrs.link-protector.com
http://vknssx.link-protector.com

(if desired) md5 file for the rars: http://lix.in/-6a8d1f

One is closer to the original in terms of lineage; the second is a finer tweek. Your call - pass, one or both!
If you need just a few songs (because you attempted this download earlier) just request the individual tracks and the host that you use (mega or rs) and I will take care of you.

18 comments:

QualityBootZ said...

Some previous comments made
Anonymous said...
Hi Dave and all.
In 1993 I worked for the British Library National Sound Archive in London. Part of my job was to sort out excess copies of vinyl, acetates and cassette tapes and throw them away!!! Thousands of them. One of the storage archives was rented off a private company and was under Belsize Park tube station and other companies rented space there too and we had to walk through their archives to get to ours. Various media companies used this and I remember passing thousands of classical music recordings on various large reel formats - master 1/2 inch tape etc and also a few rock ones. I remember two of the rock archives one was Bad Company and the other Led Zeppelin. The Led Zep one was a pallet loaded with reels of tapes of various formats and the only tape I remember was Southampton 1973 Quad mix large reel tape. There must have been 100+ other tapes of various live and studio sessions. The reel boxes had various hand written notes on them and track info. Astonishing - if only I could have made copies. Of course I could not touch anything - that would have been criminal.
What is also crazy was the mess and dirt in this archive - it was effectively a disused tube station and the shelving was 1000's of beds left over from the war when it was a bomb shelter.
While i'm here I also remember in another section of the archive passing a messy pile of film canisters and one of them had written on it Pink Floyd 1968 - I did sneak a look inside and there was a small reel of 35mm film. Of course I left it there. Has it ever seen the light of day? If only. I left the British Library 10 years ago.
Rock on
StuArt - London

QualityBootZ said...
the stuff both of dreams and nightmares. wow, that would have been fun to see though...
but probably not a good thing for me - I can resist everything but temptation ;)

Anonymous said...
With all due respect, this fan-remastering projects are getting silly; now they're tweaking the tweaks! I'm not a fan of noise reduction or amateur EQ, much less modern--dynamic-compression. I for one am glad to have downloaded the previous version of this show that Dave kindly offered, with all its dynamic range intact. That's what made live Zep so great.

Col. Hessler said...
After comparing the 3 different versions I have, I believe this TomP re-master is, by far, the best sounding. Can we please leave it at that and move on to more Zeppelin?

Thanks Dave!!



Also, I found out where my upload issues arose from this previous post so I do not anticipate further similar problems. (On my home computer if I run BitTorrent and Megamanager at the same time Megamanager fails)
Oh, and you asked for more LZ - Wait till you see next week!
-Dave

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Again, thanx for your fantastic site!

I need stairway to heaven and Whole lotta love medley from the TomP remaster. I used Megaupload

Thanks in advance

Zeeb

QualityBootZ said...

Reminder to you and all others:
You'll get it. I just want to wait a couple of days so that I don't miss anyone.

Pharo116 said...

I was able to get the first CD from the previous post. I still need the second CD. I tried downloading only parts 7-10, but that didn't work.
Pharo116

Anonymous said...

First, thanks for your efforts to post the best possible source as they become available.

Second - you have mentioned in various posts that you would like this to be a forum for all folks involved in this site. I am shopping for an external cd burner. Would it be proper etiquette in this blog to ask for suggestions? The comments from StuArt were especially interesting...

Thomas (and thanks again)

Anonymous said...

i used megaupload for the tompremaster, but i have the cartridge 7 damaged off, i´ve downloaded 6 and 7 of the new repost, but i did not succed in getting the tracks 10 and 11, do i have to download all the new links again???
i have a mp3 -320kbps version of this great gig, but on flac has an amazing sound....thanks very much dear Dave

Anonymous said...

Third lix.in link to megaupload of CMI post takes me to rar named fbhoDVD.part20 instead of desired 1973master.part03. Getting correct rar from rapidshare right now, but I thought you'd want to know there appears to still be a problem with this post.

QualityBootZ said...

Regarding: Anonymous said...
i used megaupload for the tompremaster, but i have the cartridge 7 damaged off, i´ve downloaded 6 and 7 of the new repost, but i did not succed in getting the tracks 10 and 11, do i have to download all the new links again???
i have a mp3 -320kbps version of this great gig, but on flac has an amazing sound....thanks very much dear Dave
Dave says: the old post files and the new post files will not match.
I will upload the two tracks that you need.


Regarding: Anonymous said...
Third lix.in link to megaupload of CMI post takes me to rar named fbhoDVD.part20 instead of desired 1973master.part03. Getting correct rar from rapidshare right now, but I thought you'd want to know there appears to still be a problem with this post.
Dave says: Part 3 of mega is uploaded however there is some swithing problem in the lix.in/megaupload connection. Use part 3 of rs if possible until I can figure out how to allow you to access it in mega.

QualityBootZ said...

I reupped just part 3. It is in it's own folder. It needs to be extracted first before you extract the other parts.
-Dave

Anonymous said...

Megaupload Tom P part 09 http://lix.in/-6473c7 will not download.

Anonymous said...

I downloaded Tom P remaster using all Megauploads with complete success. WAVed using Flac Frontend at level 8 without aligning sectors.
WOW what a great sounding show! Louder and punchier than my mp3 Great Lost Concert version! Thanx Dave

QualityBootZ said...

just tried part 9 and it worked fine. When using lix.in hold down the ctrl key while clicking the link

Anonymous said...

Megaupload Part 9 cannot open rar file the message says: This file is corrupt. Track 12 Heartbreaker
Tried deleting and redownloading Part 9 from both sources and same message appears.
Thought you might want to know.

thanks for the tunes.

Anonymous said...

"There must have been 100+ other tapes of various live and studio sessions. The reel boxes had various hand written notes on them and track info. Astonishing -"


I find the whole thing so ironic...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the obvious time and effort you put into this sharing effort. Great collection. The timing is great, since I am on a real tight budget, but love Zeppelin live.

JLJR said...

Killer.

propylaen2001 said...

Glad this is still alive.
A must-have!
Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

The only good thing ever to come out of southampton. Thanks for making it available.