Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Billy Joel: Philadelphia 1972 (Remastered Pre-FM) FLAC

I believe that this is his 1st ever broadcast concert
pmos-front
April 15,1972
Sigma Studios
Philadelphia, PA_USA
SBD > PreFM MR > DAT > CDR > EAC > SHN > WAV Editing in Soundforge > FLAC

01. Jackson Browne WMMR Intro
02. Falling of the Rain
03. Travelin' Prayer
04. The Ballad Of Billy The Kid
05. She's Got A Way
06. Everybody Loves You Now
07. Nocturne
08. Turn Around
09. Long Long Time
10. Captain Jack
11. Josephine
12. Rosalinda
13. Tomorrow is Today

OU: I pretty much beefed up the sound as much as possible. The band is amazing, and I wanted to bring back the sparkle to the guitar, the bite of the drum and the balls to the bass playing.
As for the hiss, it's pretty much the same as the Pre-FM, I could have removed some of it, but I found it detracted from the visceral impact of the instruments...so I left it intact. The band is rocking enough to punch through it!
I also added a bit of chatter to the end of "Captain Jack" which wasn't present on this pre-FM, it's the line Billy says about not being able to get the song played on radio...I think it fit in pretty seamlessly at the end.

links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-62fcd1
or
http://lix.in/-6790aa
http://lix.in/-69174b
http://lix.in/-6a9dec
http://lix.in/-6c248d

or
http://vkkmms.link-protector.com
http://vkkmzx.link-protector.com
http://vkkmzw.link-protector.com
http://vkkmzv.link-protector.com


megaupload:
http://lix.in/-6a9de2
or
http://lix.in/-6dab1a
http://lix.in/-6f31bb
http://lix.in/-70b85c
http://lix.in/-62fcbd

or
http://vkkmmz.link-protector.com
http://vkkmmn.link-protector.com
http://vkkmmc.link-protector.com
http://vkkmmr.link-protector.com


Comments welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is pretty cool--back when he was young & hungry--before the fame & the wimpiness set in!

(Interesting the sound of these early 70s radio broadcasts--for instance here the instruments are louder than his singing which lets you really hear the band--as opposed to much later radio broadcasts where i would imagine Billy Joel (and especially his singing) would be mixed so much louder than the backing band.)

p.s. this sounds like it runs slightly fast--but that's ok--Joel's 1st album was mastered at the wrong speed as well--so his voice sounds higher like it does here!

Anonymous said...

now maybe it sounds like just the first songs are fast (maybe the first side of original cassette?) or maybe it's not--no big deal either way!