Monday, December 7, 2009

The Grateful Dead: Cornell University 1977 (Soundboard) FLAC

GD_Cornell_Front_1
Dead in Cornell
Cornell University
Ithica, NY
8 May, 1977
Silver Rarities SIRA-19/20/21

101 Minglewood
102 Loser
103 El Paso
104 They Love Each Other
105 Jack Straw
106 Deal
107 Lazy Lightning-Supplication
108 Brown-Eyed Woman
201 Mama Tried
202 Row Jimmy
203 Dancing In The Streets - Take A Step Back
204 Scarlet Begonias-Fire On The Mountain
301 Estimated Prophet
302 St.Stephen-Not Fade Away-St. Stephen
303 Morning Dew
304 One More Saturday Night

links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-6483a8
or
http://lix.in/-62fcfd
http://lix.in/-64839e
http://lix.in/-660a3f
http://lix.in/-6790e0
http://lix.in/-691781
http://lix.in/-6a9e22
http://lix.in/-5ce283
http://lix.in/-5e6924
http://lix.in/-5fefc5
http://lix.in/-617666
http://lix.in/-62fd07


megaupload:
http://lix.in/-6177d8
or
http://lix.in/-5e6a8c
http://lix.in/-5ff12d
http://lix.in/-6177ce
http://lix.in/-62fe6f
http://lix.in/-648510
http://lix.in/-660bb1
http://lix.in/-679252
http://lix.in/-6918f3
http://lix.in/-6a9f94
http://lix.in/-5ce3f5
http://lix.in/-5e6a96


Comments welcome.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many times voted the best Dead show of all time, it isn't that, however, it is ONE HOT HOT SHOW! The Dancin In The Streets is disco-style and, for my money, the best version of this song available (as a disco song). The Scarlet/Fire and Estimated Prophet are also top rated versions. Get this show if you seek an example of a night The Grateful Dead definitely tore down the house!

Unknown said...

That Morning Dew is a smoker too. Talk about stretching a climax to the limits, whew!! *Fingers crossed for no file errors*

Jim said...

Downloaded it from this very blogspot over a year ago.
The best GD show ever?
Not with that setlist.
Disco Dead doesn't get these toes a-tappin' I'm afraid.
Randy's spot on about Morning Dew though.

Anonymous said...

I've probably listened to about 1,000 differant Dead shows that spanned every year in their career. For me it's impossible to pick the best ever, or even my favorite. There are so many awesome shows during their career. There were many hot shows in 1977. I really love the drumming segment in Not Fade Away from this show. The show as a whole is a great one. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Do allow me to retort... I already said it ISN'T the greatest show ever. However, nothing can change the FACT that it was voted best show of 77 and best show of all time, MANY TIMES, in the various editions of Deadbase. And as to setlist, it has nothing to do with making ANY best of show... it all comes down to the particular playing and jamming on any certain night... IMHO

Anonymous said...

Good retort! Everyone's opinion is greatly appreciated. Peace.

Anonymous said...

AND, it would be your loss if Disco Dead doesn't get your toes-a-tappin... sounds like a medical problem, to me... one I don't share with you, BTW. For the record, there is "humor" to be found in The Dead doing ANY song, as disco. Throw in a 17 minute jam on a disco song and... well... apparently you just don't get it... not my problem, he said as he boogied on down the road... Dancin, Dancin, Dancin in the streets Dancin....

Anonymous said...

Is the lineage any different from the previous version you posted a while back? One of my favorites... thank you for all the great music.

Anonymous said...

Could you call that version of Dancin psychodelic disco? It is an awesome performance, and one of the most popular shows ever recorded. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

After a life of Grateful Dead dislike, this is THE show that turned me into a fan. I bought my copy from a Pittsburgh record store in 1995.

Jim said...

Well since we're going in for retorting here . . .
I know what ya said bootleg43, and I never claimed otherwise. It appears we concur this show isn't their absolute best.
Can't agree with your point about the setlist being irrelevant though. Admittedly it's less of a factor when it comes to improvisational bands like The Dead, but even in their case there's only so much you can do to make mediocre songs great.
As for Dancing In The Street, that's an example of them making a great song mediocre!
Neither funny nor funky IMO, but then that's my loss and my medical problem (he said as he limped on down the road . . .)

Anonymous said...

Hey man, that's a good answer. Everybody has there own opinion and taste. You should not expect everybody else to like something just because you do. One person may like something, and somebody else might dislike the same thing. I'm glad we have all this great material to choose from on this blog. Thanks Dave!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim... retort accepted with a wink and a smile... cause I'll be Dancin Dancin Dancin In The Streets... and yes, we can safely call that psychedelic Disco to the max... and also... very funky... like... exactly perfect...

Anonymous said...

This is by far the absolute worst Grateful Dead concert ever...only because I wasn't there ;) Grateful to have the music though, many heartfelt thanks.

ericjmz said...

More along the line of comparison to the prior posting of the very same concert.
I can't find at this second your posting that via memory might be called "Barton Hall" from well < a year ago.
In any case I listened to (samples of) both back-2-back..but want the opinion of others.

To my plebian ears..this is better,& here's why:

1.That prior listing has significanty longer (pre) song chatter,banter & picking till they get into it..that's a matter of taste for those who want-it-all (usually me)

2.However this version has significanty louder mixing...really punched up to the hilt.
As the saying goes, "its tuned-up to an 11!"

I am a sucker for louder music...I personally think all 70s-90s muzak was mixed too damn softly.
But I admit to the logic that when you mix it high,to remove the distortion,you end up removing higher & lower frequencies of music.
But what can I say,logic be damned...louder always sounds better to me
...that's why we have an Iggy Pop!

Another question,& this will sound naive but here goes:

If its a sounDboard recording,why do we hear the audince?
I never 'got' that?

ericjmz

Anonymous said...

good GOD this show just fucking destroys

i mean... holy cow
like... I want to just spew forth infinitudes about how great this is and how hard i feel the grooving and everything right now listening to the dancin but I don't think our language has the right words...