link to this cover in high res and the back would be appreciated
1976-03-10
Budokan, Tokyo, Japan
w/ Crazy Horse
Source : Audience recording > Bootleg (Tarantura Label) > CDR
Transfer : CDR > EAC > xACT1.5b3 > flac(8)
Disc 1 (31:09)
1. Intro
2. Tell Me Why
3. Mellow My Mind
4. After The Gold Rush
5. Too Far Gone
6. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
7. A Man Needs A Maid
8. No One Seems To Know
9. Heart Of Gold
Disc 2 (59:18)
1. Intro
2. Country Home
3. Don't Cry No Tears
4. Down By The River
5. Lotta Love
6. Like A Hurricane
7. The Losing End
8. Drive Back
9. Southern Man
--- (encore)
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Cinnamon Girl
OU Notes: I don't usually source shows that are not from my masters, but this is an exception. I just got this from a UK Eric Clapton collector who follows the Japanese bootleg releases.
This recording of the first Budokan show of 1976 Japanese Tour is from a previously uncirculated
master. This is a recent release from the apparently exclusive Tarantura label and is supposed to be direct from the original cassette masters. Nagoya and this Budokan show is supposedly from the same taper.
The sound is very good. Some think that it is even better than the Nagoya show.
boot review:
We Love You (Tarantura TCDNY-6-1, 2)
Budokan, Tokyo, Japan – March 10th, 1976
We Love You documents Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s penultimate show on their tour of Japan. Like all of these concerts there already exists a tape source that has seen much circulation, although it never was booted. This concert was also professionally filmed and some tracks appear on The Year Of The Horse and many other DVDs. Tarantura use a new tape source that sounds very similar to the Nagoya tape on Wet Show. It has the same clarity, balance and dynamics. The only distraction is several Americans by the tape who make comments to Young throughout the performance. The do not speak during the music so their intrusion is kept to a minimum. The set list is identical except that the two encores are played in reverse order. What is immediately apparent listening to the acoustic set on the first disc is how determined Young is. Instead of being chatty and leading the audience through the set, he buckles down and plays the music keeping the conversation to a minimum. There is also much more confidence in the delivery of the material. “After The Goldrush,” with its apocalyptic, mystical medieval overtones is a standout. The audience follows along with the pensive lyrics but shout out when he sings “and I felt like getting high.” Afterwards he says, “It’s a little crowded up here. I’m happy to be here in Tokyo near the finish of my Japanese tour which I’ve enjoyed very much. Having a good time here. Here’s a new song call ‘Too Far Gone.’ It’s about me.” “A Man Needs A Maid” sounds very melodramatic in this show and is followed by “No One Seems To Know.” This song, another piano ballad has been described by Young as “A Man Needs A Maid, Part 2” and it is appropriate to follow it in the set list.
Before the final song one of the Americans by the microphone shouts, “Play on, brother! Play on!” “It’s getting wet up here” he says before “Heart Of Gold,” making the same observation as in Nagoya while cleaning his harmonica. The electric set on disc two begins with the bucolic “Country Home.” There is a cut and fade in the tape afterwards and one of the Americans wants everybody to “start boogie-ing” before “Don’t Cry No Tears.” There are some shouts and Billy Talbot comes to the microphone and says, “you people are bad, man” before “Down By The River.” The tempo is very slow and deliberate on this number, replicating the sludge of the river and the sludge of the soul of the antagonist, shooting his baby with a gun. The drums sound very heavy on this recording during this song and at nine minutes misses the long duel between Young and Whitten from the 1970 shows where it would reach twenty minutes on a good night. However in this version Young is very restraint in his solo, stretching the sustain to unbearable tension before breaking that with his trademark hacking staccato feedback riffs. The Americans in the audience afterwards shout, “Let’s have a party! Get down!” Neil responds by saying, “I hear we have some Americans here tonight. I never would have known. Here’s to all of you” before leading the band in a tender version of “Lotta Love.” “Like A Hurricane” is the last new song they play “before we get back to some of the old tunes” Young says before the band play a nine minute version of the piece. By the end of the year this song would routinely be stretched past the ten-minute mark with longer, more insane soloing. It is also worthy to note the influence of the keyboards creating a dramatic haze underneath the verses.
“The Losing End” is curtly introduced as an old song from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. After a cut in the tape they play “Drive Back” from the new album Zuma. After the final song “Southern Man” there is a cut in the tape and the mc, Goro Ito, can be heard introducing the band before they start playing the majestic “Cortez The Killer.” Molina then ticks the time on the drum and the band finsh with the second encore of the evening "Cinnamon Girl." Compared to the Nagoya show, this is better, more happy way to the show and works much better as a second encore than does "Cortez The Killer." It puts everyone in the audience, including the boisterous Americans, in a party mood and ends the evening on a high note. There are some people in the audience shouting along as Young sings the song of Spanish imperialistic conquest. Like Wet Show, We Love You is limited to one hundred unnumbered copies packaged in a cardboard gatefold sleeve. On the inside are pictures of the cassette and the J-card with the information recorded by the taper. This is the sixth day of the tour of Japan and the difference in the matrix number between this and the first release raises speculation that Tarantura just might release the other shows in this series in the future. Whether or not they might use new tape sources or the excellent quality older ones is another point of speculation, but these shows are considered by many collectors to be among the best played by Neil Young and Crazy Horse ever played. To have this show in such an amazing quality stereo audience recording is worth having.
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-40b596
http://lix.in/-423c37
http://lix.in/-43c2d8
http://lix.in/-454979
http://lix.in/-46d01a
http://lix.in/-4856bb
http://lix.in/-49dd5c
megaupload:
http://lix.in/-423c41
http://lix.in/-43c2e2
http://lix.in/-454983
http://lix.in/-46d024
http://lix.in/-4856c5
http://lix.in/-49dd66
http://lix.in/-4b6407
Comments welcome.
15 comments:
Thank you very much for this one. Always a pleasure to listen to Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
Neil Young was at his best through the 70s and the 1976 tour through Japan, Europe and North America was great. I have just finished downloading and have only heard a few seconds from a couple of the tracks and it sounds very good.
Cheers
I have heard a little more now, and considering the time (1976 - 33 years ago)and the fact that it is an audience recording I'll say the sound quality is excellent.
Cheers
Hi Dave
I found thesE
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/nycas5/Tokyo1031976F.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/nycas5/Tokyo1031976B.jpg
Saludos
Alejandro
I think this is what you are looking for...
http://rapidshare.com/files/224903255/NYbudokan.pdf
thx for both of these but I am hoping to find the actual Tarantula artwork
Hi Dave
This fantastic show is on the Tarantura label (very ltd - 100 copies) and is known as "We Love You" or another version called "Wet Show". Try this link for a look at the real slick/s (front only) and a review.www.boot-review.com
Cheers!
Geordie
Great, been looking for it.
could you upload the Rolling Stones boot at the Mocambo??. It only apears in bab quality
Wanted to drop a line and say thank you so much for all of this outstanding work! I've really enjoyed what I've heard thus far, the Bonnie Raitt and Iggy Pop just to name a few.
Do you ever get requests for any early Gov't Mule? I've been looking for a show they did back in 97 at Fletcher's in Baltimore. If anyone can please help, I'd be forever in your debt.
Keep up the good work, and thanks again.
Peace and blessings,
Vincent the Soul Chef
http://fufstew.wordpress.com
http://fufustew.wordpress.com Sorry, I messed up the link... :)
One of the best audience recordings of Neil Young I've heard! The presence is excellent.Great post.
Thanks for this...you wouldn't have "Wet Show" up for upload soon, would you???
like to have these too...t.y.!!
March 1976, Japan, 6 CD set of 4 shows
Thank you for this great concert.
Actually, I saw Nagoya concert in this tour of Japan.
After the concert, I waited outside the concert hall and Neil came out casually and shook hand with all the people waiting at the dark parking lot. It was an amazing night.
Hi Dave--I haven't had much time to enjoy your site lately. I'm glad you and your wife are well. I can't thank you both for all your work as time spent doing what you do means less time with her. Thank you so very much for all the great music and the ever widening variety you post. BTW, I ALWAYS enjoy a Neil show! Thanks again!
It is one of the great tragedies of Western Civilization that this show wasn't "officially" recorded.
Thank goodness we have this.
Post a Comment