Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pink Floyd: 2 Different Pre-FM/Aud Matrixes of the November 16, 1974 Wembley Concert

The first uses more audience and preserves the first set of the concert (not included in the BBC material). The second one uses the BBC material and less audience. It includes only the second set and the encore.
improvised front
Empire Pool
Wembley, London, UK
November 16, 1974
"The Chuckness Remaster"
The sources for this remaster were the wonderful Haugh 3-source matrix (Set 2) and the "No Room Upon The Hill" bootleg (set 1). TRUTH is actually one of the AUD sources in the Haugh Matrix, along with the "Black Hole In The Sky" bootleg, and the SBD portion is provided by the BBC pre-FM Master Reel.
Set 1:
Unknown AUD (MOLM Music) > WAV via Wavelab > Harmonic Balancing & hiss removal with professional studio tools > FLAC (level 8) via Trader's Little Helper
Set 2:
Pre-FM SBD/AUD/AUD Matrix (Haugh) > WAV via Wavelab > Harmonic Balancing with professional studio tools > FLAC (level 8) via Trader's Little Helper
Notes from the original uploader:
My friend Chuckness is a professional audio engineer who owns a recording studio in the Charlotte, NC area. As a Floyd fan, he wanted the best-possible sounding version of this show. I supplied him with the pre-FM SBD of Set 2 some months ago, and he did a beautiful remaster. Before I could upload that to Dime, I got word of the Haugh Matrix. Since Chuck wanted to use the best-possible starting point, he toassed out the previous work, and remastered the Haugh source. And for completeness, he also remastered the NRUTH source for Set 1. The results of obviously more dramatic on Set 1 - one listener described it as "removing the tin cans from over your ears."
This is the best-sounding version of this show I have ever heard, and I have heard many. I truly believe that this is the best-sounding set in circulation.

Disc 1 - Set 1 [53:46]
01 Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-9 [21:25]
02 Raving and Drooling [14:16]
03 You Gotta Be Crazy [18:05]
Disc 2 - Set 2 & Encore [1:15:46]
01 Speak To Me [02:28]
02 Breathe [02:59]
03 On the Run [05:02]
04 Time [06:32]
05 The Great Gig In The Sky [06:41]
06 Money [08:05]
07 Us And Them [07:49]
08 Any Colour You Like [07:30]
09 Brain Damage [03:39]
10 Eclipse [01:48]
11 Echoes [23:13]

rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-2c54dd
http://lix.in/-2ddb7e
http://lix.in/-2f621f
http://lix.in/-30e8c0
http://lix.in/-326f61
http://lix.in/-33f602
http://lix.in/-357ca3
http://lix.in/-370344
http://lix.in/-3889e5


megaupload:
http://lix.in/-2f6229
http://lix.in/-30e8ca
http://lix.in/-326f6b
http://lix.in/-33f60c
http://lix.in/-357cad
http://lix.in/-37034e
http://lix.in/-3889ef
http://lix.in/-3a1090
http://lix.in/-2c54f1




************************************************************



The "Emperor Nobody Rematrix Remaster"

1.Speak to Me
2.Breathe
3.On the Run
4.Time
5.The Great Gig In the Sky
6.Money
7.Us and Them
8.Any Colour You Like
9.Eclipse
10.Echoes

Notes on the rematrix remaster: This is a rematrix of the exceptional 3-source one done by amdig1. When I d/l'd amdig's effort, I had never heard the Harvested remaster of the pre-FM tape from this show (I only had ever heard the Swingin' Pig remaster) that he used as his main source material, so I came back and d/l'd the Harvested one too, just to see what this one came from.
What I found myself feeling after hearing both a few times was that a compromise was needed between the utterly dry soundboard feed (which is so bereft of live hall sound and applause that you'd think you were listening to a studio album) and the 3-source matrix, which although excellent seemed to me to have just too much of the audience sources in it (so much so as to de-sharpen the original soundboard image and drown out the tape-and-talking parts of the performance so central to the DSotM concept). Also, I saw a compromise was appropriate for the issue of the loooooooonnnnggggg period of intense cheering and tuning between the DSotM portion and the Echoes portion... I thought the Harvested version left in too much of it and the original matrix had none (actually less than none, when you consider that the tape of the airplane that ends the DSotM part was cut off before it ended).
Anyway in the interest of making as many different shades of this essential show available, here is what I did: essentially I just yacked the original Harvested version and the amdig matrix into Vegas 7 and messed about until I had it to where I felt the sources were more appropriately balanced... I used the matrix instead of going back to original audience sources because despite the seasoning being off to my taste, I really loved what amdig1 did with the blending of those two audience tapes. So now instead of a 60/40 split (pre-FM/aud), it's more like 89% soundboard and 11% audience in this version. Additionally, I restructured the transition between the DSotM portion and Echoes so it times out somewhere like a happy medium between the Harvested and amdig1 versions... this one clocks in at almost exactly 78 minutes as opposed to 79 1/2 (Harvested) and 75 1/2 (matrix). Also, the spoken and taped content now comes through super-crisply, but a lot less dryly.
If I had to describe it I'd say this is probably a lot closer to what you'd get if the BBC Strange Fruit label ever put this show out commercially, kind of a classic live-album mix I suppose.
emperor nobody
oakland, california
lineage: original FLAC files for both Harvested and amdig1 versions--->wav--->Vegas 7 & SoundForge 9--->CD Wave Editor--->FLAC level 8 (sectors aligned)

rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-2ddb92
http://lix.in/-2f6233
http://lix.in/-30e8d4
http://lix.in/-326f75
http://lix.in/-33f616


megaupload:
http://lix.in/-357cb7
http://lix.in/-370358
http://lix.in/-3889f9
http://lix.in/-3a109a
http://lix.in/-2c54fb


Comments welcome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is the second matrix version created from the Harvested remaster that was just posted a few days ago?

Anonymous said...

No, anonymous

it's about the same gig but other remastered. The choice is your, first one, second one, or remix!

By the way, Thank you Dave for all this wonderful DSOTM's stuffs.Only for collector...jaja.

Keep up the great job, Dave!!

best, Kike :)

Anonymous said...

The Harvested Disc is the primary source. Yes. The only thing is that the BBC was not granted permission to release/broadcast the first set. If you want the whole night then you have to grab the first matrix - which includes EARLY versions of songs that would not appear on album until 3 years later!
If you want the full concert but do not need to hear the audience then keep the harvested from earlier (still the best and least edited copy) and download just enough of the first matrix to get the first four tunes.
I also posted the 15th of November and plan to offer you the 14th and 17th also - soon. That way you can have all four nights of the Wembley event.
Glad that you're enjoying the posts!
-Dave

Anonymous said...

Tired of waiting in Rapidshare and Megaupload?

Do you want to know how to get Rapidshare o Megaupload FREE PREMIUM ACCOUNT wining the MONEY on the INTERNET!?

Enter here:


Click HERE to read how to get the PREMIUM ACCOUNT

Click HERE to read how to get the PREMIUM ACCOUNT

Toy can also get money, buy things on eBay, etc...

Click HERE to read!

You can't miss it:

FREE PREMIUM RAPIDSHARE AND MEGAUPLOAD ACCOUNTS