Thursday, November 24, 2011

Talking Heads: Boston 1980 (VG- Aud) FLAC

2 shows with Adrian Belew
talkingheadsTalking Heads
Orpheum Theater
Boston, Mass. November 14, 1980
(1st of 2 nights)
performance quality: B+/A pretty hot
recording quality: B- (recorded near the back of the floor seating, but it still sounds pretty listenable.)

David Byrne - vocals, guitar
Adrian Belew - guitar, backing vocals
Busta Jones - bass, guitar
Jerry Harrison - guitar, synthesizer
Tina Weymouth - bass, guitar, synthesizer, percussion, backing vocals
Chris Frantz - drums
Nona Hendryx - backing vocals
Dolette McDonald - backing vocals, percussion
Steve Scales - congas, percussion
Bernie Worrell - clavinet, backing vocals

runtime: 80:22
1: Psycho Killer 6:24
2: Warning Sign 6:19
3: Stay Hungry 4:19
4: Cities 5:38
5: Band Introductions > I Zimbra 5:48
6: Drugs 5:08
7: Once In A Lifetime 6:13
8: Animals 5:17
9: Houses In Motion 7:02
10: Born Under Punches 7:37 (Very Good Version Here)
11: Cross-eyed And Painless 7:34
12: Life During Wartime 5:22
13: The Great Curve 7:40

lineage (for both shows): unknown mikes (decent ones, not great) > Sony 152 cassette deck (Dolby off) > master cassettes > my copy (both Maxell XLII) > soundforge 4.5 > FLAC 6
reseeded in 2010 with a flac > wav > flac (sb's aligned) reconversion to remove the sbe's.
This Byrne & Belew is for you...

OU comments: This comes from a 1st gen. copy of a master I helped record (held a mike) unfortunately I think it's missing "Take Me to the River" (encore) but probably the weakest number in this concert. I think the rest is here.
When I remembered this being one of the 3 worst seat locations (or so I thought) I've ever had while recording a show, I didn't think this would be a postworthy recording. Then I remembered what a fine show it was and decided, let's give it a listen and see if it really sounds that bad. This CD almost came out without glitches or problems, saving me a new transfer, even making it through the 1st 9 tracks (not bad for a "blue-bottom" CD) but almost doesn't mean poop to a glasnostrd19 upload. One glitch could have forced a new transfer. There were many more than one, and that Cd's final purpose to anyone is to help me get this setlist together.
Then it goes into the trash where all glitchy CD's belong, and yahoo, I get to do yet ANOTHER, new transfer of a show I've already digitized!
Aren't plastic Cd's wonderful? where's Ralph Nader when we need him?
In this case not so bad because I save you any CD lineage in here with it. It's a decent, listenable recording, and another show not heard on etree (which has several incorrect listings of shows at Berklee in Boston, the only correct one being August 24, 1979). I remember thinking it was a better show and maybe even a better recording than the 15th which was recorded much closer to the stage, but I think this was a better show, more inspired and upbeat.

+++
Orpheum Theater
Boston, Mass. November 15, 1980
(2nd of 2 nights)
performance quality: B+
recording quality: B (recorded pretty close up.)
runtime: 82:54 (minutes/seconds)

1: Psycho Killer 5:56
2: Warning Sign 6:05
3: Stay Hungry 4:13
4: Cities 5:24
5: Band Introductions > 1:08
6: I Zimbra 4:32
7: Drugs 5:04
8: Once In A Lifetime 5:22
9: Animals (Cuts In) 4:37
10: Houses In Motion 6:48
11: Born Under Punches 7:11
12: Crosseyed And Painless 7:10
13: Life During Wartime 5:25
14: Take Me To The River (Cuts In) 6:56
15: The Great Curve 7:07

OU: I think this is the full show (unlike the 14th show I'm posting with this, which is missing "take me to the river") and recorded alot closer up. I didn't see this one, almost an identical set and another pretty good one.
I liked the 1st night better (partly because I was there, my only time seeing TH live) but this is my favorite TH tour (not the only good one though, the only one with Belew). There's some talking in the tape but not very much. Heads will talk, it is a Talking Heads concert, after all.
The mikes aren't as good in this recording as the 11/14 one but it's recorded a lot closer so some may prefer the sound in this one. I haven't heard a single bad show (or anywhere near one) from this tour, and Belew likes Boston a lot, so does David Byrne, always play well here including both Nov. 1980 shows. They'll fit together on 3 discs, each slightly too long for 1 80 min. disc. I encourage you to save them that way if burning to disc. It was quite a treat to see Byrne and Belew together, a very good pairing on the guitar so if you like TH emphasizing good guitar there's
plenty of it in both these shows.

rar files packed with a (winrar) recovery record -
links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-aaf73e
or
http://lix.in/-ac7de9
http://lix.in/-ae048a
http://lix.in/-af8b2b
http://lix.in/-b111cc
http://lix.in/-a3562d
http://lix.in/-a4dcce
http://lix.in/-a6636f
http://lix.in/-a7ea10
http://lix.in/-a970b1
http://lix.in/-aaf752
http://lix.in/-ac7df3

or
http://zmxkzc.link-protector.com
http://zmxkzr.link-protector.com
http://zmxkzs.link-protector.com
http://zmxknx.link-protector.com
http://zmxknw.link-protector.com
http://zmxknv.link-protector.com
http://zmxknk.link-protector.com
http://zmxknm.link-protector.com
http://zmxknz.link-protector.com
http://zmxkzz.link-protector.com
http://zmxkzn.link-protector.com


megaupload:
http://lix.in/-a66383
or
http://lix.in/-a7ea2e
http://lix.in/-a970cf
http://lix.in/-aaf770
http://lix.in/-ac7e11
http://lix.in/-ae04b2
http://lix.in/-af8b53
http://lix.in/-b111f4
http://lix.in/-a35655
http://lix.in/-a4dcf6
http://lix.in/-a66397
http://lix.in/-a7ea38

or
http://zmxknr.link-protector.com
http://zmxkns.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcx.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcw.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcv.link-protector.com
http://zmxkck.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcm.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcz.link-protector.com
http://zmxkcn.link-protector.com
http://zmxknn.link-protector.com
http://zmxknc.link-protector.com


Comments welcome.

1 comment:

yotte said...

LOVE Adrian Belew! Everything he touches turns to gold - kinda like Jerry Douglas does - they always add just the right ingredient to lift the night into amazing. THANKS!