Around The Mystic
A103 AULICA
Matric Disc: OPTICAL-MILAN ITALY 14 A103
(P) 1989 Made in Italy
Pink Floyd Collection Of Rarities Chosen From Various Radio, Television And Studio Sessions From 1969 -1970
The interpretation of each of these pieces is simply superb:
"Grantchester Meadows" retains that feeling of tranquility and sounds even better live with added atmospheric noises (very organic) while "Green Is The Colour / Careful With That Axe Eugene, "Set The controls" and "Saucerful (Celestial Voices section)" really take off thanks to the band being so intense and tight in the
dynamics with some great soloing from Dave Gilmour and Richard Wright.
Now for these really hard-to-find tracks:
"Jupiter's Eye"is a take of "Corrosion": a trippy, very calm piece blending some "Echoes"- like slide guitars with trademark delayed keyboards creating an amazing atmosphere that peaks in and out in cycles before going quiet again- quite remarkable.
"Trip On Mars" is in fact the best version of "Moonhead" available to my knowledge.
"Moonhead" is the music the BBC commissioned Pink Floyd to write for their 1969 Landing On The Moon live broadcast.
Interestingly the bass line is the same as heard on the "Money" 4/4 guitar solo from "Dark Side Of The Moon" but borrows more to the style of Syd Barrett-type riffs.
This "Cymbaline" version also comprises the rare piece "Oneone" performed in the middle section instead of the usual "Footsteps" section.
"Improvisation" is a rocky interpretation of "Fingal's Cave" which is reminiscent of "The Nile Song" (from the album "More"of the same era).
pf-db.com: This is a rare one, the bootleggers have spent quite some effort on this one, and have even made up some funky names. Jupiters Eye is a piece of Corrosion. Trip on Mars is the best version of Moonhead I've heard. Improvisation is Fingals Cave. And to complicate matters even further, the footsteps in Cymbaline have been replaced with Oenone. Grantchester Meadows and Green .. are probably taken from a performance of The Man and The Journey. All in all this ROIO is very enjoyable, since it has both a VG sound quality and the Performance/Rarity value is also high.
Tracks: Time: Source:
1. Grantchester Meadows 7:30 1969- 29 Apr 1970
2. Green Is The Colour / Careful With That Axe Eugene 13:03 1969- 29 Apr 1970
3. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun 11:11 1969, London?
4. Jupiter's Eye 6:09 Dec 1969, Zabriskie Point recording session, Rome
5. Trip On Mars 5:38 1969, BBC "Moonlanding Special"
6. Cymbaline 18:30 29 Apr 1970, KQED TV Studios, San Francisco
7. A Saucerful Of Secrets (Celestial Voices) 6:59 1969, London?
8. Improvisation (Fingal's Cave) 1:59 Dec 1969, Zabriskie Point recording session, Rome
Total Time: 71:00
rar files packed with a (winrar) recovery record -
links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-a7ae0c
or
http://lix.in/-a00cf1
http://lix.in/-a19392
http://lix.in/-a31a33
http://lix.in/-a4a0d4
or
http://mssrwk.link-protector.com
http://mssrwm.link-protector.com
http://mssrwz.link-protector.com
http://mssrwn.link-protector.com
megaupload:
http://lix.in/-a00c83
or
http://lix.in/-a62707
http://lix.in/-a7ada8
http://lix.in/-99f209
http://lix.in/-9b78aa
or
http://mssrxx.link-protector.com
http://mssrxw.link-protector.com
http://mssrxv.link-protector.com
http://mssrxk.link-protector.com
Comments welcome.
10 comments:
This is one of my all-time favorite Floyd boots!
I bought the CD more than 10 years ago during a trip in Italy.
A very nice boot.
Oh, what an amazing album! many thanks Dave!!
Brainy1000
I bought this ages ago too, but in France. I seem to remember the sound being awful so I gave it away. I'll give this a listen. From what I've read above perhaps my CD was faulty. At the time I thought that it was the recording. I forgot to note the tracks (just for reference since there were songs on it that I didn't know) and so I wondered for long time what was on the CD. Now I know! The only thing that I could remember was the cover and when I saw it here I thought thank you Dave once again!
you are welcome.
Quite a lot of misinformation about location and dates.
I once sorted it all out and wrote it on my cassette version cover. When I find the time I'll search for the tape box and will give you the correct info...
Anyway, there has been some manipulation on some of the tracks, even some instruments were added (note the extra toms on Grantchester meadows e.g. - not on the original version!) - I'm sure some of the sounds are not played by PINK FLOYD.
Cymbaline is a combined version consisting of KQED 1970-04-29 (start) and the Amsterdam version from 1969-09-17 incl. a part of Sleeping.
I also remember that the Saucerful end (Celestial Voices) is from the Amsterdam free concert (see Boot LP "Early Tours").
Anyway, I have to admit I like this "remaster/fake" boot a lot...
mike-floyd
Sorry, this is dreadful. What's with the SAME applause between each track as if it's one show? Utter rubbish.
That's correct - the same fake applause was used between all the tracks - obviously from a very small number of people ... Also you may hear some crackling vinyl noise from the original vinyl boots that were used ...
mike-floyd
As announced: here are the correct dates and places:
1: Grantchester Meadows (w. added tom toms on last chorus) KQED San Francisco 1970-05-29
2: Green Is The Colour + Careful ... (not on the cover): KQED San Francisco 1970-05-29
3: Set The Controls ... : Amsterdam Free Concert 1971-06-26 (see BLP: Early Tours)
4: Jupiter's Eye (aka: One One / Oen One: Rome, studio 1969 Zabriskie Point outtake WITH fake/added bubbling mud sounds)
5: Trip On Mars: BBC Moonlanding feature 1969 (aka Moonwalk ...)
6. Cymbaline>Sleep>Cymbaline: KQED San Francisco 1970-05-29 (until footsteps, then:) + Amsterdam 1969-09-17 ("The Man and The Journey"-Concert) WITH some hardly noticeable extra guitar and/or bass playing added during footsteps>Sleep sequence and especially during Cymbaline pt.2 (end) on the right channel (listen on headphone!) - definitely not played live by PF.
7. A Saucerful of Secrets: Celestial Voices: Amsterdam Free Concert 1971-06-26 (see BLP: Early Tours)
8. Fingal's Cave (Zabriskie Point-outtake, see Omayyad)
Hmmm - after listening to this thing again I have to admit it's not that great. First of all it is a forgery by some money making bootleggers trying to cash in by tricking the buyers (wrong date on cover, no correct infos given, added FAKE APPLAUSE between most of the tracks, fantasy names, added instruments not played by the Floyd ...) You name it.
Second: most if not all is taken from crackling vinyl copies and ALL the tracks are (now) available in top quality elsewhere - and it's extremely frustrating to hear that noise in the middle of Set the Controls, whatever it is ... when you know the track is out there in very good/ex SQ.
Only point: Interesting mix/remix of the cymbaline/Sleep track, that if it was taken from better quality sources, would really be a nice idea and a pleasure to listen to.
mike-floyd
Bought the original silver of this back in the 90's and despite all the trickery (or maybe because of it!) I still absolutely love it! One of THE great CD boots ever!
Post a Comment