The Grateful Dead
5-8-77 Barton Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca NY
Lineage:Betty Board Portion -- Master 7" Nagra reels 1/2 track @ 7.5ips>Sony PCM 501. Playback on Sony PCM 701>DAT (Digital Transfer) -- Rob Eaton DBX Decoding (Spring '99) Playback on Panasonic 4100 DAT>DB 924 D/A>Dolby 361's w/dbx K9-22 Cards>DB 124 A/D>Neve Capricorn (Digital mixing console)>DB 300S>Panasonic 4100 DAT>DAT>Digi Coax Cable>Tascam CD-RW 700>CDR (x1)>SHN (Rob Eaton remaster)
Audience Portion -- Steve Maizner's Sony ECM-990>Sony TC-152 aud master>First Gen Reel>played directly to hard drive. The excellent aud splices were normalized and patched using ProTools by Karen Hicks
Disk 1:
Set I
1. Minglewood Blues -> (AUD splice provides beginning of track)
2. Loser
3. El Paso
4. They Love Each Other
5. Jack Straw
6. Deal
7. Lazy Lightning -> Supplication (Aud Splice during transition)
8. Brown Eyed Women
9. Mama Tried
Disk 2:
Set I (continued)
1. Row Jimmy
2. Dancin' In The Streets
Set II
3. Take A Step Back/Tuning
4. Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain
Disk 3:
Set II (continued):
1. Estimated Prophet
2. Tuning/Dead Air
3. Saint Stephen->
4. Not Fade Away->
5. Saint Stephen->
6. Morning Dew
7. Encore: Saturday Night
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/78da4d40
http://lix.in/1553b113
http://lix.in/e0e35a4c
http://lix.in/a74dc7b9
http://lix.in/0e081652
http://lix.in/793fc1b7
http://lix.in/83abd178
http://lix.in/bebcafa8
http://lix.in/d8fee522
http://lix.in/307b51ff
http://lix.in/b42ff57e
http://lix.in/7bb55deb
Comments welcome.
19 comments:
love the dead and jam stuff thank you for a great site
love to see some allman brothers band
peace
diddo the above.
I have a question about something different...i try to maxamize storage space on my hard drive & ipod by downconverting the flac or shn to AAC, maximizing the total number of tunes. it is working for me so far and i still have to loose some (dead weight) songs i don't listen to anymore when i get new tunes.
My question is why do you think it is importaint to have flac or shn? Why does it take up so much hard drive space?
I also have a question about women and relationships, but this is for a different post...
Thanks for youe work...
My question is why do you think it is importaint to have flac or shn?
Dude, are you for real? Go somewhere else and enjoy lossy quality MP3 boots, don't ask for that here, this is a lossless treasury. I am embarassed for you.
Oh wow, I was listening to this last night and trying to convince someone abouts it's greatness.
The May 77 run was really sweet, but there's something magical about the Cornell show.
I hope this show will turn a few heads on....
Let's focus on the music and not each other.
FLAC or SHN files are "lossless" meaning that they are not compressed like an mp3 (MP3s typically are compressed at a 10-1 ratio so you loose sound quality).
Although I have in the past posted some MP3 shows (and may still do so in the future) I am focusing my attention to please those who are looking for the best quality bootlegs available on the net.
If you wish to free up some space convert the SHN files to WAV and the WAV to FLAC - typically you will gain 15% for those files without loosing quality. One note: If you do that please update the lineage information if you are going to trade or post elsewhere. Also, many people actually simply burn the files to CD and carefully store them - no HD space needed!
I have a few links
PS
I am on the hunt for Allman Brothers but they are tough since many bootlegs have become official releases or too many songs from a certain concert have become official to make downloading rather mute.
Hang in there. I haven't ignored the requests.
thank you friend
this site rocks
lossless is the ONLY way to go
mp3 just doesnt have the quality
Thank you for the explination to my question. If I ever post or trade files I converted I'll update the linage. Thanks for the tunes...
My favorite show of all time!!!
Pristine! Many thanks...
Hey - been digging on the site for a while now, and gotten some gems. I may have some allmans for you, but they are on an older hard drive and I've been on a rather OCD prince binge for the last 7 months or so (since I found out he's not just some nutty purple gnome who did that movie I loved as a kid. But that he's a nutty purple gnome who did that movie I loved as a kid and then very quietly has become IMHO one of the most prolific and talented musicians and showmen of our time.) and I can't remember how much of my ABB is flac... I too started this online chapter in my bootlegging life a bit ignorant of flac and ape and shn etc. I downed a large number of MFSL golds to sell when money was tight... dropped them to aac like a fool. I know better now. Lemme look. see if there's anything I can dig up. I'll get in touch if there's anything super interesting.
and WTF is up with the attitude from Annoymous poster #3? Not only do you jump on him for asking a very relevant question about a term that is known by an EXTREMELY slim percentage of music freaks (and I guess you never learned about FLAC and shn - but rather were born with this this knowledge pre-loaded in your memory banks. Oh what misery it must have been listenting to all that lossy crap when you knew FLAC was out there, ready to be invented soon!). But you jump on him for something he didn't ask. He asked why is it important, and why does it take up so much space. Valid questions (from someone who, once again, like most of us, didn't have the foresight to be born with such knowledge)which somehow became a request for this site's product to become compromised. Maybe you were born knowing he was going to ask it and wanted to save us the time.
I mean do you troll forums over at the wine spectator and yell at people who ask what's so special about a chiraz?
And finally, this isn't your site. How do you see it being acceptable for you to tell him to clear out? I know this isn't a business for Real 2,0 but sites are pretty dependant on traffic to click limks to generate basic operating costs. How would you like it if some fool came onto your site and started telling people to get lost... What do you think a store would do if you were standing out front makeing sure the right people shopped there? They would be pissed. Just like you would be pissed if I came down to the bus station and slapping the dicks out of your mouth when you were working?
Spend a little less time being embarassed for others and be embarassed for that guy who's picture is on your driver's license. Evewryone will be happier for it in the long run.
(sorry for the rant 2.0 it was only gonna be an observation - a one liner, but that manner of behaivior pushes so many personal buttons..... I'll look for some ABB for you) Thanks for some great tunes.
Ok, I love grabbing the shows 2.0 puts on here but only rarely comment about how great it is here and how much I love it. I like to do some clicks instead.
My observation is for the last post above me.
Noelemite, I read the posts and yes annon was MAYBE a touch harsh but you wrote a book about it and made hurtful comments, I quote "Just like you would be pissed if I came down to the bus station and slapping the dicks out of your mouth when you were working?" That is disgusting. You are the pot calling the kettle black. Grow up please.
I think the only real person to be embarassed or should be embarassed is you.
(I apologise 2.0 but the comments made by Noelemite were vulgar and not warranted. I will get back to the music now)
I'm a bit late, but I've been meaning to comment on this for weeks.
The third anon was rude and inconsiderate. Would you speak that way to a stranger in person? I think not. A snotty remark like that, especially when prefaced with the idiotic word "Dude" would earn you a knuckle sandwich anywhere.
And to the last, prudish anon, I applaud noelemite for his most excellent verbal pants-ing of the culprit, perhaps he went a bit overboard with the bus station bit, but that's the part that made me fall out of my chair laughing.
And thanks for the SBD.
-Donovan
Thanks Mate,
great show, and foremost great site.
Thanks for all your work!
Peace
Thanks so much for this and all your efforts!
A note to anyone considering downloading this show: GET IT!! It truly is a top 10. I got my first recording of this date as a freshman in high school in 1978...maybe I was a nut carrying it around on a mono player everywhere I went. In hindsight, I wasn't wrong. Every time you play it, it only gets better.
Hello:
It was me who posted the question about FLAC vs AAC. I am sorry to see all the follow-up posts. I feel badly now for starting it.
The message boards are cool on this site because for the most part it is peaceful and all about the music. I see other message boards on the net and they are vicious. We all must learn to ignore the people out there who put us down, especally anonymously. You can never please everybody, you know?
I am not embarrased because I choose quantity over quality sometimes. For example, I perfer a sammy smith or a microbrew, but sometimes I just get a six-pack of Bud. Or swag over the diggity sometimes.
That being said, I do have a seperate external hard drive dedicated to the storage of FLAC folders I get here, just in case one day i have a revelation that 160 kbps aac does not do the job for me anymore.
I love music and have been passionate about acquiring for a long time. I am just an amateur, who greatly appreciates the efforts of Dave and others like him.
Thank you.
rjs1620
Noelemite must have quite a bit of time on his hands. Actually his attempts at sarcasam were weak and sad. A very pathetic character indeed.
The show SMOKES from start to finish. The Dancin In The Streets is THE best "disco" version they ever did of this song. The Scarlet Fire smokes and is also one of the best. This show is HIGHLY rated amongst Deadheads and is a must have if one would like to get on the bus!
#2 top GD show in my list.
#1 being Springfield Creamry Benefit 08-27-1972.
Thanks
A totally subjective question...so sub.,I'm near embarrassed to ask - not that THAT will stop me!
For this "#1" show,that has been more widely available for longer than many other desirable shows, has anyone heard enough oTHer versions to say whether this is or is not the BEST version currently available?
As its (mostly) a soundboard,have others heard other versions to say (sort of the opposite of the above) ... that they are virtually indistinguishable?
ericjmz
Post a Comment