Embryo's Growing At The Playhouse (24bits 96kHz vinyl)
Paris Theatre, London, England, 16 July 1970
Release: 12 inch 33rpm vinyl
Label: TRADE MARK OF QUALITY
Code: TMQ - PFE 001
Tracks:
1. Embryo 8:48
2. Green Is The Colour 3:24
3. Careful With That Axe, Eugene 7:11
4. If 4:27
5. Atom Heart Mother 24:33
Total: 49:27
Band: Roger Waters
David Gilmour
Rick Wright
Nick Mason
OU: Back in 2007 and while strolling through the center of The Hague (The Netherlands), hunting for some new vinyls, I found a RoIO from the Atom Heart Mother Tour (1970) of Pink Floyd. Checking the various databases, this could be an alternative or vinyl version of "Libest Spacement Monitor" (check out the following links: http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/l...cement.cd.html or http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/l...ent_mw.cd.html), as nowhere I could find a reference to this vinyl RoIO. The sound quality is excellent and I had transferred it straight to digital the first time I played this record from its sealed album (just a brown carton folder with a loose white paper front page) and published it on Yeeshkul! in 16/44.1-flacs, with no remastering at all to keep the vinyl-feel (just manually removed some clicks and normalized it to -0.1dB). The original description has been copied at http://www.roio.compnet.com.pl/bootlegs/EmryosGrowingAtPlayhouse.htm.
There was some confusion about the real date and venue of this vinyl as the cover mentioned: "Playhouse Theatre, London, 16th September 1970" and after some clues from Yeeshkul! fans and some digging I proposed Paris Theatre, London, 16th July 1970 as the most likely venue and date.
See also the old Yeeshkul! posting (2007-09-06): http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3157
The 24bits 96kHz version
Enough about the history. In November this year I received a PM from littlepieces with a request to do another transfer at 24/96. I was planning this already for some time but delayed it until I got myself a new phono cartidge to replace my 30-odd years old Ortofon MC10.
So here is the result: this great vinyl in 24bits at 96kHz. Time had done some damage to the vinyl, as a hot summer had caused a nasty bend in the side of the record, especially noticable at the beginning of "Embryo" and "Atom Heart Mother".
Lineage:
Cartridge: Ortofon Rondo Red (MC)
Turntable: Thorens TD165 MkII (modified with in-built symetrical 20dB MC pre-preamplifier)
(RIAA) Amplifier: Denon PMA-1500R
Loudspeaker set 1: Infinity Alpha 40
4-channel DI Amplifier: Behringen DI-4000
Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 1616FX
Amplifier 2: Phonic DMX 2501
Loudspeaker set 2: Wharfedale EVP-S15
Headphones 1: Sennheiser HD 540 reference
Headphones 2: AKG K-501
Audio-interface: E-MU 1616M PCI
PC Hardware: Intel Core i7-920, 6GB RAM, 1x 640GB HDD (system), 1x 1TB HDD (data)
Operating System: Windows 7 - 64bit
Audio Editor: Adobe Audition 3.0.1 (24bits 96kHz wave)
FLAC convertor: FLAC frontend 1.7.1 (24bits 96kHz flac level 8)
Edit log:
01 Embryo:
finished 2010-12-04
manually removed a few dust-clicks and -pops
cut to start and finish with fade-in of start and fade-out of end
final length: 9m45s
02 Green is the Color - Careful with that Axe, Eugene:
finished 2010-12-04
manually removed a few dust-clicks and -pops
cut to start and finish with fade-in of start and fade-out of end
final length: 10m32s
03 If:
finished 2010-12-04
amplification: 4.7 dB
manually removed a few dust-clicks and -pops
cut to start and finish with fade-in of start and fade-out of end
final length: 4m23s
04 Atom Heart Mother:
finished 2010-12-11
manually removed a few dust-clicks and -pops
cut to start and finish with fade-in of start and fade-out of end
final length: 23m57s
A scan from the original vinyl album cover is included. For those who appreciate the warmth and the sound of vinyl, enjoy this gem!
HighHopes58
December 2010
rar files packed with a (winrar) recovery record -
links require copy and paste to browser
rapidshare.com:
http://lix.in/-971337
or
http://lix.in/-9405eb
http://lix.in/-958c8c
http://lix.in/-97132d
http://lix.in/-9899ce
http://lix.in/-9a206f
http://lix.in/-9ba710
http://lix.in/-8deb71
http://lix.in/-8f7212
http://lix.in/-90f8b3
http://lix.in/-927f54
http://lix.in/-9405f5
http://lix.in/-958c96
or
http://mvwnmn.link-protector.com
http://mvwnmc.link-protector.com
http://mvwnmr.link-protector.com
http://mvwnms.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzx.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzw.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzv.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzk.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzm.link-protector.com
http://mvwnmk.link-protector.com
http://mvwnmm.link-protector.com
http://mvwnmz.link-protector.com
megaupload:
http://lix.in/-8deb8f
or
http://lix.in/-9a2083
http://lix.in/-9ba724
http://lix.in/-8deb85
http://lix.in/-8f7226
http://lix.in/-90f8c7
http://lix.in/-927f68
http://lix.in/-940609
http://lix.in/-958caa
http://lix.in/-97134b
http://lix.in/-9899ec
http://lix.in/-9a208d
http://lix.in/-9ba72e
or
http://mvwnzr.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzs.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnx.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnw.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnv.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnk.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnm.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnz.link-protector.com
http://mvwnnn.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzz.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzn.link-protector.com
http://mvwnzc.link-protector.com
Comments welcome.
10 comments:
Where can I download the 16-bit version ?
I have it scheduled soon but I was hoping to hear from others who may prefer this ultra high end verson. GREAT for DVD surround sound.
I haven't heard this one yet but generally speaking I'm afraid that most people who undertake vinyl transfers just miss the point completely. You don't need 24 bit and you don't need post production mastering to boost the levels to the EXCESSIVE levels of CD. It's not about making vinyl match your digital collection, in fact the opposite is true - i do mine 16 bit with absolutely no gain to produce what I term 'virtual vinyl' A few very selective manual declicks aside, the bulk of my efforts go into getting the vinyl as clean as possible (water bath w spindle, followed by lighter fluid) and using the best quality analog pre-amps, interconnects etc. the results from officially released vinyl (even 2nd hand) blow away the compressed boosted efforts of officially released CDs. The key is to reduce/eliminate any surface noise at source. there is no point in using 24 bit unless you are going to digitally remaster and why would you want to do that! clicks can easily be removed from 16 bit wav and you lose sound qual downsampling from 24 to 16 bit. Boosting the level without very expensive looless plugins results in compression and also reduces sound quality
Thanks so much for sharing this, Dave! I do have a quick question for you -- might you be in possession of the boot "Who Refused To Play The Encore", from Philadelphia 1977? I would love to get my hands on it, and I've been looking for it for close two years now.
It sounds great played with Winamp through my Logitech 5.1 THX system. I'm also looking forward to a 16-bit copy I can play in the car.
I don't understand, for the car nothing will surpass the excellent Havested CD release. there is only one way to listen to vinyl ('virtual' or real) and that is properly positioned between 2 proper sized cones and played thru a proper 2 channel amp where the bass is an integral part of the soundstage. I can never understand why people are prepared to rip their homes up to precisely position 5 or 7 speakers (really makes no difference folks, anyhting close will do) and then say they cannot accomodate a proper stereo setup. With 2 speakers proper positioning is massively more important, not less! I recently heard Mr Mason say on the radio here that he no longer has a proper stereo setup - Hugely depressing, just don't buy into the hype people, vinyl (unlike DAC'd digital) is mastered for optimum playback with properly configured hifi separates, if you're not getting it then your setup is wrong, not the media
Clearly some people enjoy their sound different then you do, doesn't make their preferences wrong. To each their own, ROCK ON
Answer: It is simply a case of listening to things in the listening context they were originally mastered and optimized for. A traditional amp, 2 speaker system with uncompressed full frequency vinyl gives you an entirely unique and different listening experience. This differs radically to digitized formats thru multi-speaker systems and sub-optimal listening environments like cars, where digital (even compressed) formats with more 'punch' are far more effective
I recently heard a demonstration comparing 16 bit 44.1 kHz to 16 bit 48 kHz to 24 bit 96kHz and 24 bit 192 kHz. The biggest leap was from 44.1 to 48 kHz. It was explained that the original recording was at 192 kHz and 48 kHz is exactly one-quarter (divided by a whole number, 4), whereas the 44.1 kHz is an odd division, which screws up the sound.
At each step, in an A-B comparison, it was easy to hear the difference. It was a matter of diminishing returns beyond 24 bit 96 kHz, but 192 kHz was still a noticeable improvement.
I agree with the above statement that it is critical to have a super clean record and fine playback equipment. However, I also feel that much of the analog magic is lost if the resolution is less than 24 bit 96 kHz.
To explain this difference in other terms, increasing the bits is like looking through stepping up from looking through a dirty double-pane window with a screen to the same window without a screen to a single pane window to a clean window - each step providing increased resolution.
Thanks for sharing another superb boot from your site!
Post a Comment