Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Filepost has changed their policy yesterday

catastrophe

Hi Friends,
I have always tried to keep an open dialogue with you regarding the ins and outs of the blog.

I know that Rapidshare works perfectly well for many of you - probably MOST of you, but their are certain readers who are unable to use rapidshare because of their country is not provided service with Rapidshare.

It was then that I brought Megaupload into the picture. Many of you were thrilled. Even though it created extra work for me, I was glad to do it. One of the reasons that I chose Megaupload was their "point system". Basically, I could get continued free service from them for a month for every 10,000 downloads. This was of course after my initial investment into buying one of their plans.

I never made a penny from Megaupload even though I earned enough points to qualify for cash payouts, Megaupload never paid (ever) so I contented myself with the fact that at least I was not paying out-of-pocket to provide the alternative for you.

Enter the DOJ. Megaupload is gone. Filesonic is bleeding and flailing. More to follow suit no doubt.

I sought another backup that gave me an opportunity to provide a 2nd source for you and earn commissions that I in turn would use to add length to my premium account. Well, guess what? During day one of my use of their service they changed the rules - no commissions, no extending contracts for free, etc.
My premium account ends on the 21st of February. After that I will not use Filepost. In fact, I will not use any secondary source, only Rapidshare. I would love to provide an alternative but I simply cannot afford additional out-of-pocket costs. Some people think that I am getting rich running this blog. Hardly. I still do it for love of music and love for you.

Some will undoubtedly be disappointed with my decision. I have really struggled in making it.

If there is one bright note it is this: After February 21 I will be putting 6-10 new boots on the blog every day. I will be able to do this since I will no longer have to "double upload" each file (one to rs, one to mega).

My current position is to stand firm, and try to continue to improve your blog but if Rapidshare goes... then it has been nice knowing each of you and I thank you for all that you have done to appreciate and encourage me.

dave

PS: BIG Day Tomorrow.

72 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope that this will all sort out to everyone's satisfaction, and that it will continue. Your blog and comments are the first thing I check every day. Thanks always Dave.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything ,Dave.
Suggest you post a link to an e-mail or other new blog site (parachute site) so we can all stay in touch should anything untoward occur.

JDownloader still shows a list of over 100 file locker sites. Perhaps you should review them and interview some new services located in places untouchable.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Your blog is the best out there. Honestly. No BS. You have great taste in music and selection of posts. Thanks again for all your work. It's too bad about the current situation, but I understand your reasons. If it doesn't work out you will surely be missed by many people.
Life will be a little more empty without this great music. But let's try to stay positive and hope for the best. Peace and Love always.

Anonymous said...

Losing rapidshare would really suck then. Good Luck. Hopefully this will continue. Evrything you do is very much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

No arguments whatever you choose to do! A blog of consistent quality and high standards in everything. Many thanks indeed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for all your work. Much much appreciated.
Regards
Thomas

Anonymous said...

RS is now the best for free DL/ High speed & no delay time! But everything changes... May be You will try FileServe? Filepost ia a real shit - 3 hours of delay time....
Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your continued and sometimes thankless efforts. Plus, big thanks for all the backend efforts in trying sail through the ever shifting landscape.
All the best from the Northwest.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything you have done. Some of these shows bring me back to a much better time and no price can be put on that. What's going to happen is going to happen(brillant huh)so hang in there and know your work is much appreciated.

Joe said...

Thanks for all your efforts, it surely is a sad time for us who like downlowding bootlegs. As far as I know bootlegs have no copyright on them and are according to the law unless sold. You gave them to us for free and you even used all your time for us. As a record collector I always bought the original when available, usually bootlegs are not in the shops so why stop every download?

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for all the hours of hard work you have put in mate, ill continue to use the blog for sure as Rapidshare seems still good, i do really hope this file-host situation gets somehow sorted soon and this blog and others can continue, thankyou!!

Prog Spaniard said...

Man: you're a star!

After all you do for us, you still feel you owe us an explanation for the lack of the second source!! And this after what happened to MU last week and the increasing hostility in the webb...

My huge and sincere admiration from Spain. I do not find words to express how indebted I feel with you.

Keep on rockin'!!!

Anonymous said...

Dave, my name is John and I've never commented to you but I want you to know that I really appreciate the unbelievable hard work you put into your blog ! I'm more of a 70's - 90's tapehead and the material you make available just boggles whats left of my mind. I just wanted to say thank you, no matter what...keep on rockin' John :-)

Mouldysauerkraut said...

Thank you for your work.
You are saving documents for the present and future generations, to talk a little bit too seriously, but I really think that it is true.
Uploadstation was working fine, but seems to bleed too, now.
A great site for vinyl out of print called twilightzone / one trick pony uses mediafire, I think it is good, but maybe not for the long run.

Anonymous said...

It sure will be a sad day if RS goes down and this blog ceases to exist. I check everyday to see what has been uploaded and continue to enjoy the music on this site!

Dave, we completely understand the situation. Thanks for giving us so much music to discover. Hopefully, RS won't follow the current trend but if they do, maybe an alternative solution will be presented that is even better.

Thank you so much.

A walk in the woods said...

Whew…. Big doings here. It’s amazing how quickly this problem has come to a head.

First, I want to say THANK YOU for all the music you have provided for the past several years, and are trying to hard to continue providing. This has been my #1 blog for many moons and is the first site I check in the morning. The width and breadth of the material you present, and always in FLAC quality, is amazing.

I hope very much the ride can continue. We’re cheering you on, Dave – and “clicking” while we’re cheering. Thanks and let’s hope for the best!!

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do when I start up the computer is check this site. Thank you so much for sharing hours and hours of awesome tunes!
I too hope rapidshare stays the way it is right now (no waiting time, fast downloads etc.)
And if not, well, you certainly did what you could and much more!

Thanks man!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the news. I´ll keep my fingers cross for much more music in the future. As always thanks for your work and all the best for you and yours.

Dr. Forrester said...

Two thoughts -

1) If you're going to do more audio releases each day, this gives the opportunity to include the more obscure acts.

2) This may give you the chance to include more video material. I'm sure that you generally shied away from video material in the past due to the time required to upload to multiple hosts.

schizoidman said...

Your efforts are greatly appreciated here in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I just hope we live up to this and bravely fight these attemps at censorship so the internet will indeed remain free for all to benefit from everything available. If you live in the USA, write your representatives and voice your desire to keep government out of our daily lives. Unfortunately, they've run roughshod over us as of late. Change indeed. The best change would be to run them all out and elect people who still care about public service and with a small amount of common sense make decisions that allow for free expression.

Anyway, hope tomorrow finds you well and blogging and if not,thanks again for generosity in sharing your musical collection.

Schizoidman
Sophia, NC USA

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. We commiserate, with constant gratitude.

psorb40 said...

Dave

Once again can I add my thanks to what you have done for me and others over the years and for your continued efforts to provide a service here. You cannot imagine how much I appreciate it. Rapidshare is currently a great improvement on the shambles it was this time last year so if that is all we end up being left with, so be it.

cheers
hp

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about filepost, but I am glad that rapidshare and yourself plan to stand strong. Your blog is the best out there, it's the only one I go to each and everyday. Your wide range of selections really appeal to my own eclectic taste in music and I have never been able to find any other blog that comes close to comparison.

Your site has introduced me to artists that I never would have known and for that I am really thankful how much you have expanded my musical horizons. It has also been really nice to see how many people there are out there that appreciate some of the more obscure talent. Hopefully you are able to continue to provide this invaluable service to progheads like myself who are always looking for something new and interesting. Thank you so much again Dave for all of your hard work and dedication...YOU ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tunes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this music with us Dave. Appreciate all the effort you have done.

Martin from Canada

Mega_Bowie_Fan said...

Thanks Dave for what you have done for us. Really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Works for me as long as they leave Rapidshare alone!! Good luck. Any Moby Grape or Quicksilver down the road?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave.... if RS goes the same way as MU perhaps you could investigate setting up a dc++ hub of sorts where we could all meet and share what you have given us etc.
All the very best and thanks for your work here so far and long may it continue
John

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your hard work Dave. You've filled several of my requests over time and all I can do is say "thanks" and 2clicks!

Dave's fan in NC

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, at least partially. I had premium accounts for MegaUpload, Filesonic, Fileserve, Uploading, Hotfile and Rapid Share. Of those, only Rapid Share is still operating. Sucks to say the least.

Hang in there Dave.

Fla-Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Whatever your decision, I support you 100% ... with enormous gratitude.

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER you do is bigger than life !
THANKS ! \M/
Gtam Argentina

JLJR said...

Hey Mr. Boots,
Thanks for all your work.
Checking out your site everyday
has definitely made life a bit more fun.
JL

Anonymous said...

Dave, NICE illustration to go with this post. HOLY CATS, it's been a rough weekend for you! I am glad that at least ONE service remains for you to continue under, but I know you have had your gripes about RS as well. If you DO become one of the internet's most beloved memories (at least to me) well, it was a blast while we had you! We really appreciate all the hard work and sacrifice you put into making QB the BEST music blog on the 'net. God speed to you, son, and don't give up the ship!

Anonymous said...

Can only echo everything that has been said. A truly great blog with no other thought than to share and enrich the lives of others.
Whatever happens, content yourself with the fact that you made a big difference and brought a lot of happiness along the way.
Stand strong.

Jocelyn said...

Dave,

Thanks for all you've done over the years. I wish I knew how to contact you in order to offer my personal shuttle services from airport to hotel should you ever find yourself flying in to Vancouver, Seattle, or perhaps even Portland or San Francisco. It would be an honour.

Cheers!

skylark said...

To Fla-Anonymous (January 24, 2012 5:03 PM).
fyi Hotfile is still going strong.

madman said...

Dave-

The fact that you're still planning on keeping this blog going after everything that's gone down in the last few days is amazing.

However you want to continue is your business. It's unfortunate that not everyone can use all these sites, but if you look hard enough there are alternatives.

Thanks for everything you've given us. This is one of the first places I check when I go on-line. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Since finding your site, i really love the diversity of it. Your taste in music is very similar to mine, and the things that i wasn't aware of, you have managed to help expand my listening pleasure. I'm just glad that you continue to do all that you do! Thank you for everything. It is very much appreciated. Anyone who doesn't share my thoughts should go elsewhere. You Rock! You really do.

Drew Freeman, RPh said...

One blog I visit is http://progbeat-vvche.blogspot.com/ . It's a Russian page and that uses a Russian page for downloads. It works flawlessly. The downloads come from http://narod.ru/ .

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks so much for the blog. I found so much good stuff here. It's my first check each day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Thank you for all the great posts, I deeply appreciate all you've done. As far as the dl providers, I would probably wait a while before trying anyone else. I think several will be changing their rules as the fall out from megaupload settles. Whatever you do, thank you and good luck.

Bob W.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amazing, and thank you. RS is fine with me so I'm not affected by your choice, but I hope an viable alternative presents itself sometime in the future so other fans from around the world can appreciate your hard, hard work.

Amazing shares, thanks so much.

Stadium Studios said...

Good luck my friend. I am still here and will continue to be. Rapidshare has always been the "stable" one even with their ups and downs.

Rock on brother!

...and remember, you always have an open invitation to each out to me via e-mail or in person whenever and for whatever!

Geoff said...

Hi Dave,

Like many of the above, your site is one of the first I check every day to see what wonders you have uploaded.

Sadly the world changed last week and may never be the same again but thank you for all the great music you have given us over the years whatever happens.

All good wishes

Geoff

The Funkster said...

Thanks very much for what you've done here, I don't know how I'll cope without my daily fix!

Cheers Mate.

Anonymous said...

Don't give up Dave and keep on rocking!
The net needs people like you!
Stay in fight against the censor asses!
God bless you!

Anonymous said...

your blog makes me happy because it shows how many people in all the world still like our music, and enjoy it. Thank you very much from Italy

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Thanks for everything thus far, it is fair to say that there are only a handful of blogs out there that actually stimulate the music industry. I was never a great Pink Floyd fan but as a result of reading the notes and checking out the downloads I have actually been out and purchased several albums. This can be said for a number of the acts which you have posted - some I would never have dreamed of buying - my head previously being firmly locked to those groups of my youth (1963-1976ish).
The industry itself needs to change, recognise the good that blogs such as yours does, support you which in turn will help them - unfortunately they are still wearing blinkers and unable to see what is happening around them.
At the end of the day QualityBootz has enriched the lives of all of us who love music and for that I truely thank you - If you should disappear without warning then may the sun continue to shine on you and yours!

Ian Macdonald said...

Have you looked at Mediafire?

Some of the blogs I visit use that and it seems to provide good service without the usual restrictions.

Anonymous said...

I thank you for your dedication and significant effort over the years.

Robinbrevard said...

Dave - Do what you need to do to keep this going!

I'm encouraged by the report I've heard that Rapid may have seen trouble coming and changed the way they handle files & file data in order to protect themselves against what happened to MU.

Fingers crossed...

puremagicmatador said...

thanks for all your tremendous posts....i wish you great success in the future.

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU DAVE! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.

Anonymous said...

Like The Great Zappa said (and he was years ahead in may ways and fields, as suggesting _ to the record industry _ around the begining of the 80's to sell via telephone, songs, records,whole work of people which had already had part or whole work out of catalog.Sounds familiar? that's what we do through the net, but as they did'nt give a chance,we've been doing for free). As he said " The F.B.I. is gonna get your number", sounds foolish or teenagish but it's true, and worst of all,the system absorbs everything and turn it all in a cheesy remembering of what it once was.What was that the great majority of bands,artists HAD to become more "Commercial",sellable,by the end of the 70's and 80's.It All COINCIDES with the neoliberal position of governments of Ms Thatcher in'79 and Mr Reagan in '80,from this point on the industry began to dismiss peolple who worked for them(producers,executives,etc...)which cared about music too, and as time passed by it was ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY till the point that the more the pop the more we get this Sex musical PRODUCTS,that's what they are(nothing agaist that but to dominate the "Music" scene is what is sad,we have space for that and also have to be democartic, but when it becomes the norm,what is "cool",Artistic,Phenomenal...C'mon ...).Nothing is unrelated in this world,so watch out for what you believe and want and LEARN about POLITICS and it's characters to try to put the wheels running in the direction of what is good for all that believe in diversity of life,art,music without the dictatorship of media,industry,and the EATING MONEY MACHINE that is what's behind the intentions of the great corporations and the few who REALLY get billionaire while rest..."ain't even the number two",Zappa again... and forever!!!

Anonymous said...

I love Zappa but that rant was retarded. Dave you - and music - are the best.

A White Raven said...

Hi Dave,

I hope this isn't my final thank you, for your blog has been my best source of live music for the past few years.

I once had given up hope of finding decent quality live recordings of my favorite bands, Genesis and Pink Floyd, but your blog changed all that.

Now, I have too much in my collection to choose from, but that's wonderful.

May abundance and joy be constant companions through your journey, and may all of your fondest dreams come true.

My light and love,
A White Raven

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

there come two alternatives to my mind. Maybe it is worth to think about them:

1. A simple system like the µtorrent

2. A system called soulseek

Thank you soo much for all your hard work

danasan from Germany

Anonymous said...

Your blog is the best out there. I surely hope that this will all sort out to everyone's satisfaction and that it will go further. Your blog and comments are the first thing I check every morning.I'll continue to use the blog for sure
Thanks for everything Dave and all the best from Provence, south of France.

bobbydjr said...

Looks like FileFactory is hanging in there too:

Regarding the future of FileFactory we have been online since 2005 so we have a very long history and we have always operated with legitimate business model and practices. This is why we have never been quite as popular as other services, but it also means we can continue on because it's business as usual. We see no need to take dramatic action like disable file sharing services.

Anonymous said...

As Steve Marriott would say...."Rock on!"

splhcb said...

Dave,
Thank You for the Music.

Keep on chooglin' ....

Anonymous said...

I read yesterday that Mediafire wasn't backing down either and they are Texas based, so there is always hope. Thanks again Dave for everything you do...ROCK ON!!!

josephine said...

luv this man....
J

Anonymous said...

How about Bayfiles, Dave?
http://bayfiles.com/
Life doesn't start with RS and doesn't end with MU...

sd10521 said...

Thanks again for your passion and all you have done for us.

I think the Megaupload takedown was because of their arrogance and will not be a domino effect for all the file sharing services.

If this trend keeps up, maybe just wait out the storm for a few weeks until the dust settles.

In any event, thanks for your dedication to the music and take some time to enjoy your family and friends.

Psyclist said...

I can't care less that Filepost goes... it didn't work for me at all. Glad Rapidshare is still there, it works perfect, always have done. Alternatives get more and more difficult. The obvious ones atm are hotfile and mediafire. But I still prefer rapidshare. Thx for all the shares

Anonymous said...

Man, what a post.

Really sorry to hear about your predicament, Dave, I must say thanks for the time, effort and resources you've put into the blog, and I'm crossing every pair of digits I own that RS stays up.

Damn this SOPA!

kansas100 said...

Thank you Dave,for all your hard work.I,ts a real shame that the 1%ers want more.Shame on them.Thanks again.

BLUEFOOD said...

BASTARDS!!!! Thanx for all the hard work and whatever your decision will be, who can argue after what you've done for us. Every time my Mac gets turned on i check what little nugget of captured sound your offering. U WILL BE MISSED DAVE.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave. Rapidshare is prob a good decision. I think I'll go back and get all the missing concerts before they disappear. Any chance of Magnesium Proverbs by Syd Barrett re-up on Rapidshare sometime?

Rock on Dave. You're the king!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great !
Thank you, Dave!

Julio said...

I love bootlegs and your work. tanks for all.
Julio from Brasil